Do it yourself pump replacement. If you are a mechanically inclined individual that would prefer to save money and replace your PortACool pump yourself this is where you want to be.
Tools needed for portacool pump replacement
- Flat head screwdriver
- Phillips head screwdriver
- Wire ties
Here are the step to complete the pump replacement on the portacool unit
- Lock the casters to prevent movement of the portacool unit
- Unplug the portacool unit and store the cord. Never perform service on a unit until it is unplugged.
- Remove the screws across the top of the pad flap and remove the flap
- Remove the pads starting in the middle and working towards both sides
- Remove the two screws that hold the cover in place of the control box. Remove the cover
- Trace the cord that goes to the pump. It is the smaller of the two cords.
- Slide the grommet from the box and remove the wiring from the box.
- Find the quick disconnect for the pump and unplug it.
- Cut the zip ties to free the cord.
- Remove the pump from the portacool unit.
a. Unscrew the hose from the pump
b.Lift up on the bracket to free the pump.
- Unbox the replacement pump (click here to purchase your new pump)[ https://www.portableairconditionersinc.com/port-a-cool-parts] and screw in the hose adapter that is included in the box. Make sure to tighten the hose adapter.
- Place the pump in the unit.
a. Lift up on the bracket and place over the hose adapter.
b. Attach the hose, insure the washer is still in place.
- Unroll the cord and plug in the quick connect at the control box.
a. Replace the grommet. Make sure it is seated properly to keep water out.
b. Store the wires back in the control box and replace the cover.
- Using wire ties, secure the cord to the fan brace to keep the cord from getting into the fan.
- Replace the pads. Arrows on the pads indicate which end is up and which side goes to the front of the unit. Replace from the outside in and replace the center pad last.
- Put the pad flap back in place and secure with screws.To see the entire process, how to replace a pump on a portacool unit, please click HERE.